- 1 What are features of blues music?
- 2 What are the main elements of the blues?
- 3 What are the four elements of blues music?
- 4 What is the structure of blues music?
- 5 What is an example of blues music?
- 6 Why is the Blues called the devil’s music?
- 7 What blues means?
- 8 What instruments were used in early blues?
- 9 What is the most important element of jazz?
- 10 Is blues music always sad?
- 11 Why are the blues important?
- 12 What is the purpose of the music in blues?
- 13 What are the 3 blues chords?
- 14 What key are most blues songs in?
What are features of blues music?
The elements of music in the blues
- it was common to include bent notes – usually the flattened third, fifth or seventh note of the scale.
- the performer often improvises over a chord progression.
- melismas are heard in many blues vocal melodies.
What are the main elements of the blues?
Like most types of music, blues has a specific musical form with two basic components: a lyric form (or vocal form) and a harmonic form. These components work together to create what we know as blues.
What are the four elements of blues music?
Major Elements of Blues Music
- Melody and Harmony. The harmony of blues music mainly focuses on the first, fourth and fifth chords of a combination.
- Rhythm. Would you like to write for us?
- Musical Instrument Sounds.
What is the structure of blues music?
A 12-bar blues is divided into three four-bar segments. A standard blues progression, or sequence of notes, typically features three chords based on the first (written as I), fourth (IV), and fifth (V) notes of an eight-note scale.
What is an example of blues music?
Other chord progressions, such as 8-bar forms, are still considered blues; examples include “How Long Blues “, “Trouble in Mind”, and Big Bill Broonzy’s “Key to the Highway”. There are also 16-bar blues, such as Ray Charles’s instrumental “Sweet 16 Bars” and Herbie Hancock’s “Watermelon Man”.
Why is the Blues called the devil’s music?
Not sure much the Blues but it’s reinvention through early rock and roll Like Elvis and Chuck Barry etc… People referred to this as the Devil’s Music because it was widely believed, at the time, that it caused teens of the day to indulge in sinful activities like premarital sex and drugs.
What blues means?
1: low spirits: melancholy suffering a case of the blues. 2: a song often of lamentation characterized by usually 12-bar phrases, 3-line stanzas in which the words of the second line usually repeat those of the first, and continual occurrence of blue notes in melody and harmony.
What instruments were used in early blues?
The combination of instruments used in early blues music included the clarinet, drum, guitar, piano, trombone, and trumpet.
What is the most important element of jazz?
Jazz has all the elements that other music has: It has melody; that’s the tune of the song, the part you’re most likely to remember. It has harmony, the notes that make the melody sound fuller. It has rhythm, which is the heartbeat of the song. But what sets jazz apart is this cool thing called improvisation.
Is blues music always sad?
A lot of people think the blues are sad. Other blues are angry, moody, scary, frightened, and some are bouncy, joyous, exuberant, happy. Clearly, the blues is unusually rich in emotional expression. So, no, the blues is not sad music, and they do not tend to make us sad.
Why are the blues important?
The social significance of Blues music resides in the revolutionary element of African Americans creating their own aesthetics. Blues music represented the opposing voice that refused to be silenced by oppression and segregation. The Blues expressed this with unprecedented clarity, honesty and simplicity.
What is the purpose of the music in blues?
Blues is an African-American music that traverses a wide range of emotions and musical styles. “Feeling blue ” is expressed in songs whose verses lament injustice or express longing for a better life and lost loves, jobs, and money. But blues is also a raucous dance music that celebrates pleasure and success.
What are the 3 blues chords?
A common type of three – chord song is the simple twelve-bar blues used in blues and rock and roll. Typically, the three chords used are the chords on the tonic, subdominant, and dominant (scale degrees I, IV and V): in the key of C, these would be the C, F and G chords.
What key are most blues songs in?
Blues songs are usually in E, A, G, C or D, with E, A and G the most common. Other keys are used but these are the most common, particularly with guitar players.