- 1 What instruments did the Blues use?
- 2 What unusual instruments were used for early blues?
- 3 What was the first style of blues music called?
- 4 What is the main instrument typically heard in blues?
- 5 Is Blues and Jazz the same?
- 6 Who is known as the father of the blues?
- 7 Who was the first blues musician ever?
- 8 Who recorded the first blues?
- 9 Who are the famous blues musicians?
- 10 Why is the Blues called the devil’s music?
- 11 Why is it called blues music?
- 12 How do you define blues music?
- 13 What are the main features of blues music?
- 14 What scale is used in blues music?
- 15 Is Blues Music happy or sad?
What instruments did the Blues use?
The most popular instruments used in blues are:
- brass instruments – often heard playing with mutes.
- acoustic and electric guitar.
- Dixieland drum kit.
- double bass – a walking bass line is a common harmonic device in which the bass will play notes of the chord and notes leading to the next chord.
What unusual instruments were used for early blues?
Performers such as Frank Stokes, Sleepy John Estes, Robert Wilkins, Joe McCoy, Casey Bill Weldon and Memphis Minnie used a variety of unusual instruments such as washboard, fiddle, kazoo or mandolin. Memphis Minnie was famous for her virtuoso guitar style.
What was the first style of blues music called?
The first blues recordings were made in the 1920s by Black women such as Mamie Smith, Ma Rainey, Ida Cox, and Bessie Smith. These performers were primarily stage singers backed by jazz bands; their style is known as classic blues.
What is the main instrument typically heard in blues?
The acoustic guitar is the single most common instrument found in blues music, often being the only thing that gets played.
Is Blues and Jazz the same?
Blues is derived from Bluegrass, Jazz, R&B, and Rock. Jazz comes from Calypso, Funk, Soul, and Swing. It’s important to know that Blues was around before Jazz; thus, Blues can be considered an element of Jazz music. Jazz is from New Orleans, while Blues is from Mississippi.
Who is known as the father of the blues?
Today’s blog celebrates the career of W.C. Handy. Born in Florence, Alabama on November 16, 1873, William Christopher Handy became interested in music at an early age.
Who was the first blues musician ever?
It’s impossible to trace a first blues singer, but the first recorded blues musician, within the genre which today is recognized as blues, was probably Sylvester “Curly” Weaver, when he recorded Guitar Blues and Guitar Rag in 1923.
Who recorded the first blues?
Mamie Smith and the Birth of the Blues Market Mamie Smith was the first black artist to record a blues song: 1920’s “Crazy Blues.” The recording opened the door for a brand new market known from the 1920s to the 1940s as “race records.”
Who are the famous blues musicians?
- BIG BILL BROONZY (Lee Conley Bradley; 1903 – 1958)
- SON HOUSE (Eddie James “Son” House, Jr.; 1902 –1988)
- BLIND WILLIE McTELL (William Samuel McTier; 1898 –1959)
- MAMIE SMITH (née Robinson; 1891 – 1946)
- ARTHUR “BIG BOY” CRUDUP (Arthur William Crudup; 1905 –1974)
- SKIP JAMES (Nehemiah Curtis “Skip” James; 1902 –1969)
Why is the Blues called the devil’s music?
Not sure much the Blues but it’s reinvention through early rock and roll Like Elvis and Chuck Barry etc… People referred to this as the Devil’s Music because it was widely believed, at the time, that it caused teens of the day to indulge in sinful activities like premarital sex and drugs.
Why is it called blues music?
The name of this great American music probably originated with the 17th-century English expression “the blue devils,” for the intense visual hallucinations that can accompany severe alcohol withdrawal. Shortened over time to “the blues,” it came to mean a state of agitation or depression.
How do you define blues music?
Blues is an African-American music that traverses a wide range of emotions and musical styles. “Feeling blue” is expressed in songs whose verses lament injustice or express longing for a better life and lost loves, jobs, and money. But blues is also a raucous dance music that celebrates pleasure and success.
What are the main features of blues music?
What is blues music?
- Blues is both a musical form and a musical genre.
- The main features of blues include: specific chord progressions, a walking bass, call and response, dissonant harmonies, syncopation, melisma and flattened ‘blue’ notes.
What scale is used in blues music?
The blues scale is a six-note progression that sounds right at home in blues, rock, and country music. This scale is essentially the pentatonic scale plus one chromatic note, often called the blue note.
Is Blues Music happy or sad?
Why The Blues Isn’t Just a Sad Emotion There are celebratory songs. Traditionally blues music has captured a wide range of emotions. Whole subgenres of the blues, like jump blues, evoke a feeling that is upbeat, cheerful, positive and even happy.