- 1 What does blues music originate from?
- 2 Why is blues music so important in the history of American music?
- 3 What was the first uniquely American music?
- 4 How does blues music reflect the values of US culture?
- 5 Why is blues the devil’s music?
- 6 Who are the famous blues musicians?
- 7 What is the purpose of blues music?
- 8 What is the most important element of jazz?
- 9 What music influenced blues?
- 10 Why is jazz so cool?
- 11 Who was the most famous ragtime composer?
- 12 What is the most popular music genre in America 2020?
- 13 What are the characteristics of blues music?
- 14 Why soul music is the best?
- 15 Why was the blues so popular?
What does blues music originate from?
Blues developed in the southern United States after the American Civil War (1861–65). It was influenced by work songs and field hollers, minstrel show music, ragtime, church music, and the folk and popular music of the white population.
Why is blues music so important in the history of American music?
Blues music was created from the living conditions and emotional experiences of African Americans in the southern United States. Blues music represented the opposing voice that refused to be silenced by oppression and segregation. The Blues expressed this with unprecedented clarity, honesty and simplicity.
What was the first uniquely American music?
A little Jazz History These elements gradually blended, and the first music that we now call jazz was played by African- American and Creole musicians in New Orleans in the early twentieth century. At its infancy, jazz contained elements of Ragtime, marching band music, and the Blues.
How does blues music reflect the values of US culture?
The blues with its pulsing rhythms, melodic hooks, aching harmonies, vivid images, timeless stories, and exciting performance practices is America’s basic musical language. Our most popular musicians today have their roots in the blues. American blues represents the spirit of America.
Why is blues the devil’s music?
The origins of the blues are closely related to the religious music of Afro-American community, the spirituals. It was the low-down music played by rural blacks. Depending on the religious community a musician belonged to, it was more or less considered a sin to play this low-down music: blues was the devil’s music.
Who are the famous blues musicians?
- BIG BILL BROONZY (Lee Conley Bradley; 1903 – 1958)
- SON HOUSE (Eddie James “Son” House, Jr.; 1902 –1988)
- BLIND WILLIE McTELL (William Samuel McTier; 1898 –1959)
- MAMIE SMITH (née Robinson; 1891 – 1946)
- ARTHUR “BIG BOY” CRUDUP (Arthur William Crudup; 1905 –1974)
- SKIP JAMES (Nehemiah Curtis “Skip” James; 1902 –1969)
What is the purpose of blues music?
Blues is an African-American music that traverses a wide range of emotions and musical styles. “Feeling blue” is expressed in songs whose verses lament injustice or express longing for a better life and lost loves, jobs, and money. But blues is also a raucous dance music that celebrates pleasure and success.
What is the most important element of jazz?
Jazz has all the elements that other music has: It has melody; that’s the tune of the song, the part you’re most likely to remember. It has harmony, the notes that make the melody sound fuller. It has rhythm, which is the heartbeat of the song. But what sets jazz apart is this cool thing called improvisation.
What music influenced blues?
Almost every genre of popular music today has, in one way or another, been influenced by blues music. Jazz, rhythm & blues, gospel, country and rock ‘n’ roll (and all music that would later spawn from these genres) are just a few of the styles that owe much of their progression and style to blues music.
Why is jazz so cool?
When you hear jazz with relaxed tempos, lighter sound and orchestral sounding arrangements, you’re most likely listening to the style of music known as cool jazz. There is an incredible variety of this style of music, ranging from intense and intricate to light-hearted and melodic.
Who was the most famous ragtime composer?
Scott Joplin, the composer /pianist known as the “King of Ragtime “, called the effect “weird and intoxicating.” He also used the term “swing” in describing how to play ragtime music: “Play slowly until you catch the swing”.
What is the most popular music genre in America 2020?
Hip Hop music also called hip-hop or rap music. It is the most popular music style in 2020. Which is created in the United States by downtown African Americans and Latino Americans in the Bronx precinct of New York City during the 1970s.
What are the characteristics of blues music?
The elements of music in the blues
- it was common to include bent notes – usually the flattened third, fifth or seventh note of the scale.
- the performer often improvises over a chord progression.
- melismas are heard in many blues vocal melodies.
Why soul music is the best?
Soul music has some very unique features that are not evident in other genres. For one thing, it is designed to convey strong emotions and typically has deep, meaningful lyrics created for this purpose. Its roots are from old gospel played in southern churches in the United States.
Why was the blues so popular?
The Blues music originally grew popular among the black population during the time when slavery was prominent in the United States. Before the origination of the blues, African American’s voiced their feelings and interpersonal relationships while working out on the planatations.