- 1 What is a hokum song?
- 2 Is Black Snake Moan an example of hokum?
- 3 What is hokum heart disease?
- 4 Where did the word hokum come from?
- 5 What are the 4 signs your heart is quietly failing?
- 6 What 3 foods cardiologists say to avoid?
- 7 What are 4 signs of cardiomyopathy?
- 8 What does hokum mean in English?
- 9 What does claptrap mean?
- 10 Is a moot?
What is a hokum song?
Hokum is a particular song type of American blues music—a humorous song which uses extended analogies or euphemistic terms to make sexual innuendos. This trope goes back to early blues recordings and is used from time to time in modern American blues and blues rock.
Is Black Snake Moan an example of hokum?
The bestial aspect of hokum sexuality is emphasized by songs using animal imagery. Hokum clearly contrasts with other uses of similar imagery. Blind Lemon Jefferson’s “ Black Snake Moan,” for example, is entirely different in its mysterious insect imagery and its deep and plaintive tone, a real cri de coeur.
What is hokum heart disease?
Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (HOCM) is a relatively common disorder. Historically, it has been referred to as idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis. HOCM is a significant cause of sudden cardiac death in young people, including well-trained athletes, affecting men and women equally across all races.
Where did the word hokum come from?
hokum (n.) 1917, theater slang, “melodramatic, exaggerated acting,” probably formed on model of bunkum (see bunk (n. 2)), and perhaps also influenced by or based on hocus-pocus.
What are the 4 signs your heart is quietly failing?
Heart failure signs and symptoms may include:
- Shortness of breath (dyspnea) when you exert yourself or when you lie down.
- Fatigue and weakness.
- Swelling (edema) in your legs, ankles and feet.
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat.
- Reduced ability to exercise.
- Persistent cough or wheezing with white or pink blood-tinged phlegm.
What 3 foods cardiologists say to avoid?
“ Avoid any foods that have the words ‘trans,’ ‘hydrogenated,’ or ‘partially hydrogenated’ on the label [indicating bad fats], often found in commercially fried foods, donuts, cookies and potato chips,” advises Dr. DeVane. “Also, be aware of how many calories are coming from sugar.
What are 4 signs of cardiomyopathy?
Signs and symptoms of cardiomyopathy include:
- Shortness of breath or trouble breathing, especially with physical exertion.
- Swelling in the ankles, feet, legs, abdomen and veins in the neck.
- Fainting during physical activity.
- Arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats)
What does hokum mean in English?
1: a device used (as by showmen) to evoke a desired audience response. 2: pretentious nonsense: bunkum.
What does claptrap mean?
Use the word claptrap when you’re talking about overblown nonsense. The word comes from the idea of “a trick to ‘catch’ applause,” and its meaning evolved to mean “showy, cheap talk” and also, to some degree, “nonsense.”
Is a moot?
open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: Whether that was the cause of their troubles is a moot point. of little or no practical value, meaning, or relevance; purely academic: In practical terms, the issue of her application is moot because the deadline has passed.