- 1 Why are the Blues called blues?
- 2 What are 3 characteristics of the blues?
- 3 Why is blues called devil’s music?
- 4 What was the purpose of the blues?
- 5 Who named blues?
- 6 Are blues always sad?
- 7 How do you describe blues?
- 8 How does blues make you feel?
- 9 Who are the famous blues musicians?
- 10 What is devil’s music?
- 11 What city is known for blues?
- 12 Who is the father of blues music?
- 13 Is Blues and Jazz the same?
- 14 Why are blues songs sad?
- 15 What instruments were used in early blues?
Why are the Blues called blues?
Etymology. The term Blues may have come from ” blue devils”, meaning melancholy and sadness; an early use of the term in this sense is in George Colman’s one-act farce Blue Devils (1798).
What are 3 characteristics of the blues?
Harmony and tonality
- the harmony is predominately related to the tonic, subdominant and dominant.
- minor 7th chords and other chord extensions are heard.
- dissonant harmonies are a common feature.
Why is blues called devil’s music?
Not sure much the Blues but it’s reinvention through early rock and roll Like Elvis and Chuck Barry etc… People referred to this as the Devil’s Music because it was widely believed, at the time, that it caused teens of the day to indulge in sinful activities like premarital sex and drugs.
What was the purpose of the blues?
Blues music thus originated as a non-verbal language, as a necessity to express feelings of pain and grief, and in this way as a tool of (passive) resistance. It became an instrument of cultural affirmation among African- Americans, and more importantly, specifically made for African-Americans (Salaam 1995).
Who named blues?
Growth of the blues (1920s onward) One of the first professional blues singers was Gertrude “Ma” Rainey, who claimed to have coined the term blues. Classic female urban or vaudeville blues singers were popular in the 1920s, among them Mamie Smith, Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Victoria Spivey.
Are blues always sad?
A lot of people think the blues are sad. Other blues are angry, moody, scary, frightened, and some are bouncy, joyous, exuberant, happy. Clearly, the blues is unusually rich in emotional expression. So, no, the blues is not sad music, and they do not tend to make us sad.
How do you describe blues?
Blues songs are lyrical rather than narrative; blues singers are expressing feelings rather than telling stories. The emotion expressed is generally one of sadness or melancholy, often due to problems in love.
How does blues make you feel?
“The blues style represents… a saying of things that are very painful, deep and poignant, with a feeling of ease. In the very best blues the pain changes, because of the music, into something light.” At its best, the blues is a oneness of pain and pleasure, defeat and exaltation, sadness and joy.
Who are the famous blues musicians?
- BIG BILL BROONZY (Lee Conley Bradley; 1903 – 1958)
- SON HOUSE (Eddie James “Son” House, Jr.; 1902 –1988)
- BLIND WILLIE McTELL (William Samuel McTier; 1898 –1959)
- MAMIE SMITH (née Robinson; 1891 – 1946)
- ARTHUR “BIG BOY” CRUDUP (Arthur William Crudup; 1905 –1974)
- SKIP JAMES (Nehemiah Curtis “Skip” James; 1902 –1969)
What is devil’s music?
The Unsettling Sound Of Tritones, The Devil’s Interval In music theory, the tritone is an interval of three whole steps that can sound unresolved and creepy. Over time, the sound has wound up in jazz, rock and even Broadway musicals.
What city is known for blues?
Chicago. The great city of Chicago has music venues for every taste, but it is particularly known for the Blues. The “Chicago Blues ” style came about in the post-World War II-era when many African-American southerners moved to the industrial north in search of jobs.
Who is the father of blues music?
Today’s blog celebrates the career of W.C. Handy. Born in Florence, Alabama on November 16, 1873, William Christopher Handy became interested in music at an early age.
Is Blues and Jazz the same?
Blues is derived from Bluegrass, Jazz, R&B, and Rock. Jazz comes from Calypso, Funk, Soul, and Swing. It’s important to know that Blues was around before Jazz; thus, Blues can be considered an element of Jazz music. Jazz is from New Orleans, while Blues is from Mississippi.
Why are blues songs sad?
Why is ‘ blues music ‘ linked to sadness? – Quora. It’s simple because blues music has its roots in work/slave songs and also gospel songs. Blues is a form of music that developed from a group of people that went through som very difficult times and that shows in how it feels.
What instruments were used in early blues?
The combination of instruments used in early blues music included the clarinet, drum, guitar, piano, trombone, and trumpet.