- 1 Who is the most famous blues singer?
- 2 Who are some of the most famous blues performers?
- 3 Who was Blues first singer?
- 4 Why is blues called devil’s music?
- 5 What are the top 20 blues songs?
- 6 Who is the best blues music?
- 7 Where is blues music most popular?
- 8 What are the three famous blues songs?
- 9 Who made blues popular?
- 10 Who is the father of blues music?
- 11 Who is the best female blues singer?
- 12 Which blues is known as the original blues?
- 13 What is devil’s music?
- 14 Is Blues from the devil?
- 15 Why was jazz considered devil’s music?
Who is the most famous blues singer?
The main source being The All Music Guide To The Blues (Miller Freeman Books).
- The Top Ten.
- Charley Patton (1887 – 1934)
- Blind Blake (early 1890s – 1933)
- Blind Lemon Jefferson (1897 – 1929)
- Lonnie Johnson (1899 – 1970)
- Louis Jordan (1908 -1975)
- T-Bone Walker (1910 – 1975)
- John Lee “Sonny Boy” Williamson (1914 -1948)
Who are some of the most famous blues performers?
- BIG BILL BROONZY (Lee Conley Bradley; 1903 – 1958)
- SON HOUSE (Eddie James “Son” House, Jr.; 1902 –1988)
- BLIND WILLIE McTELL (William Samuel McTier; 1898 –1959)
- MAMIE SMITH (née Robinson; 1891 – 1946)
- ARTHUR “BIG BOY” CRUDUP (Arthur William Crudup; 1905 –1974)
- SKIP JAMES (Nehemiah Curtis “Skip” James; 1902 –1969)
Who was Blues first singer?
The first blues recordings were made in the 1920s by Black women such as Mamie Smith, Ma Rainey, Ida Cox, and Bessie Smith. These performers were primarily stage singers backed by jazz bands; their style is known as classic blues.
Why is blues called devil’s music?
Not sure much the Blues but it’s reinvention through early rock and roll Like Elvis and Chuck Barry etc… People referred to this as the Devil’s Music because it was widely believed, at the time, that it caused teens of the day to indulge in sinful activities like premarital sex and drugs.
What are the top 20 blues songs?
Friday Top: 20 Best Blues Songs of All Time
- Gary Moore – Still Got the Blues (For You)
- Albert King – Born Under a Bad Sign.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan – Texas Flood.
- Lead Belly – Where Did you Sleep Last Night.
- Jimi Hendrix – Red House.
- Robert Johnson – Cross Road Blues.
- John Lee Hooker – Boom Boom.
- B.B. King – The Thrill Is Gone.
Who is the best blues music?
The Best Blues Songs Of All Time
- BB King – The Thrill Is Gone.
- Robert Johnson – Me And The Devil Blues.
- John Lee Hooker – Boogie Chillen.
- Little Walter And His Jukes – My Babe.
- Howlin’ Wolf – Evil.
- Robert Johnson – Crossroads.
- Blind Lemon Jefferson – Matchbox Blues.
- Muddy Waters – Got My Mojo Working.
Where is blues music most popular?
Chicago. The great city of Chicago has music venues for every taste, but it is particularly known for the Blues. The “Chicago Blues ” style came about in the post-World War II-era when many African-American southerners moved to the industrial north in search of jobs.
What are the three famous blues songs?
Top 10 Blues Songs of All Time
- I Cant Quit You Baby – Otis Rush.
- I’d Rather Go Blind – Etta James.
- Crossroad Blues – Robert Johnson.
- Pride and Joy – Stevie Ray Vaughan.
- I’m Tore Down – Freddy King.
- Born Under A Bad Sign – Albert King.
- Sunshine of Your Love – Cream.
- Hoochie Coochie Man – Muddy Waters.
Who made blues popular?
Blues music is characterised by sad melodies and even today the expression ‘having the blues ‘ means you are feeling gloomy. Early blues music was very slow and emotional using simple harmonies with a vocalist accompanied by a guitar. Bessie Smith and Robert Johnson made the blues style very popular in the 1920s.
Who is the father of blues music?
Today’s blog celebrates the career of W.C. Handy. Born in Florence, Alabama on November 16, 1873, William Christopher Handy became interested in music at an early age.
Who is the best female blues singer?
The Best Modern Female Blues Musicians
- Ana Popovic.
- Samantha Fish.
- Joanne Shaw Taylor.
- Larkin Poe.
- Heather Gillis.
- Susan Tedeschi.
- Danielle Nicole.
- Ruthie Foster.
Which blues is known as the original blues?
Hart Wand’s ‘Dallas Blues ‘ has the distinction of being the first, while the second was Arthur Seals’s ‘Baby Seals’ Blues ‘.
What is devil’s music?
The Unsettling Sound Of Tritones, The Devil’s Interval In music theory, the tritone is an interval of three whole steps that can sound unresolved and creepy. Over time, the sound has wound up in jazz, rock and even Broadway musicals.
Is Blues from the devil?
And because some of the lyrics were raunchy, and most songs were about man-woman relations, drinking, lust, love, loss and longing, blues was considered sinful. To most blacks, blues was the Devil’s music.
Why was jazz considered devil’s music?
Like rap today, jazz music was considered a dangerous influence on young people and society. It featured improvisation and the liberating rhythms of the black American experience instead of classical music forms.