- 1 What are the notes in a blues scale?
- 2 What are the steps of a blues scale?
- 3 What is the blues scale used for?
- 4 What is the formula for a pentatonic scale?
- 5 What are the 3 chords used in the blues?
- 6 What is the 3 chord trick?
- 7 What key is most Blues played in?
- 8 What is the most common form of the blues?
- 9 What is the difference between pentatonic and blues scale?
- 10 What are the major scales on piano?
What are the notes in a blues scale?
In relation to the Major scale the notes of the Blues scale are: 1 – b3 – 4 – b5 – 5 – b7 – 1. The b3, b5 and b7 notes of the scale (for C Blues scale: Eb, Gb and Bb) are the so called blue notes of the scale. Here are the Blues scales in all 12 keys listed in Circle of Fifths order.
What are the steps of a blues scale?
The minor scale formula goes like this: Minor 3rd (3 half steps ) whole step, half step, half step, minor 3rd, whole step.
What is the blues scale used for?
Usage. In jazz, the blues scale is used by improvising musicians in a variety of harmonic contexts. It can be played for the entire duration of a twelve bar blues progression constructed off the root of the first dominant seventh chord.
What is the formula for a pentatonic scale?
To form the C Major pentatonic scale, you would take the 1 = C, 2 = D, 3 = E, 5 = G, 6 = A. To form the C minor pentatonic scale, you would take the 1 = C, b3 = Eb, 4 = F, 5 = G, b7 = Bb. You will notice that the notes are not the same because only the relative minor pentatonic scale has the same notes.
What are the 3 chords used in the blues?
A common type of three – chord song is the simple twelve-bar blues used in blues and rock and roll. Typically, the three chords used are the chords on the tonic, subdominant, and dominant (scale degrees I, IV and V): in the key of C, these would be the C, F and G chords.
What is the 3 chord trick?
The three chord trick refers to the practice of accompanying a melody by only three chords. There are large numbers of melodies, both popular and classical, that can be harmonised in this way.
What key is most Blues played in?
Blues guitar keys The two most common keys in blues music are E and A. There are others, but these two keys are the most common.
What is the most common form of the blues?
The most common musical form of blues is the 12-bar blues. The term “12-bar” refers to the number of measures, or musical bars, used to express the theme of a typical blues song.
What is the difference between pentatonic and blues scale?
The “ Blue Note” is the only difference between a minor pentatonic scale and the blues scale. The blue note is also known as a flat 5th. Locate the 5th scale degree of the A minor scale. The 5th scale degree of an A minor scale is an E.
What are the major scales on piano?
See also Major scales exercises and arpeggios.
- C Major. Notes: C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C.
- E Major. Notes: E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#, E.
- G Major. Notes: G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, G.
- B Major. Notes: B, C#, D#, E, F#, G#, A#, B.
- D# / Eb Major. Notes: Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb, C, D, Eb.
- G# / Ab Major. Notes: Ab, Bb, C, Db, Eb, F, G, Ab.