- 1 What is the purpose of blues music?
- 2 What are the main features of blues music?
- 3 What is the definition of blue music?
- 4 How does blues make you feel?
- 5 Why is blues called the devil’s music?
- 6 What makes Blues different from other music?
- 7 What are the 3 elements of blues?
- 8 Why are blues songs sad?
- 9 Who are the famous blues musicians?
- 10 What is another name for blues music?
- 11 Why is blues so important today?
- 12 Which of these is used in blues music?
- 13 Is blues music sad or happy?
- 14 What causes someone to have the blues?
- 15 Why do people love blues?
What is the purpose of blues music?
Blues is an African-American music that traverses a wide range of emotions and musical styles. “Feeling blue” is expressed in songs whose verses lament injustice or express longing for a better life and lost loves, jobs, and money. But blues is also a raucous dance music that celebrates pleasure and success.
What are the main features of blues music?
What is blues music?
- Blues is both a musical form and a musical genre.
- The main features of blues include: specific chord progressions, a walking bass, call and response, dissonant harmonies, syncopation, melisma and flattened ‘blue’ notes.
What is the definition of blue music?
1. a feeling of depression or deep unhappiness. 2. ( Jazz) a type of folk song devised by Black Americans at the beginning of the 20th century, usually employing a basic 12-bar chorus, the tonic, subdominant, and dominant chords, frequent minor intervals, and blue notes.
How does blues make you feel?
“The blues style represents… a saying of things that are very painful, deep and poignant, with a feeling of ease. In the very best blues the pain changes, because of the music, into something light.” At its best, the blues is a oneness of pain and pleasure, defeat and exaltation, sadness and joy.
Why is blues called the devil’s music?
Not sure much the Blues but it’s reinvention through early rock and roll Like Elvis and Chuck Barry etc… People referred to this as the Devil’s Music because it was widely believed, at the time, that it caused teens of the day to indulge in sinful activities like premarital sex and drugs.
What makes Blues different from other music?
blues is usually in 4/4 time. there is syncopation to emphasise the weak beats. swing rhythms are heard- quavers are uneven and give a triplet feel to the beat. early blues music was very slow but got faster as the style developed.
What are the 3 elements of blues?
Major Elements of Blues Music
- Melody and Harmony. The harmony of blues music mainly focuses on the first, fourth and fifth chords of a combination.
- Rhythm. Would you like to write for us?
- Musical Instrument Sounds.
Why are blues songs sad?
Why is ‘ blues music ‘ linked to sadness? – Quora. It’s simple because blues music has its roots in work/slave songs and also gospel songs. Blues is a form of music that developed from a group of people that went through som very difficult times and that shows in how it feels.
Who are the famous blues musicians?
- BIG BILL BROONZY (Lee Conley Bradley; 1903 – 1958)
- SON HOUSE (Eddie James “Son” House, Jr.; 1902 –1988)
- BLIND WILLIE McTELL (William Samuel McTier; 1898 –1959)
- MAMIE SMITH (née Robinson; 1891 – 1946)
- ARTHUR “BIG BOY” CRUDUP (Arthur William Crudup; 1905 –1974)
- SKIP JAMES (Nehemiah Curtis “Skip” James; 1902 –1969)
What is another name for blues music?
Find another word for blues. In this page you can discover 55 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for blues, like: depressed spirits, heaviness of heart, dejection, lament, torch- song, jazz, funk, soul- music, rhythm-and- blues, gloom and music.
Why is blues so important today?
The emergence of Blues can be considered the biggest music event in history as it crystalized emotions and creativity in a period of rapid development and economic growth. It is rooted in deep inequity and has powered liberation and emancipation efforts globally.
Which of these is used in blues music?
Guitar and vocals are the instruments most frequently heard in blues music. Other instruments commonly heard are piano, harmonica, drums, and bass. Early on, not only were the lyrics of the blues improvised, but the instruments as well.
Is blues music sad or happy?
Why The Blues Isn’t Just a Sad Emotion There are celebratory songs. Traditionally blues music has captured a wide range of emotions. Whole subgenres of the blues, like jump blues, evoke a feeling that is upbeat, cheerful, positive and even happy.
What causes someone to have the blues?
Brief periods of feeling “blue” are usually caused by life events that leave us feeling discouraged. From a broken date to the loss of a loved one, the causes can range from minor to major events.
Why do people love blues?
According to color psychology: Blue is described as a favorite color by many people and is the color most preferred by men. Because blue is favored by so many people, it is often viewed as a non-threatening color that can seem conservative and traditional. Blue calls to mind feelings of calmness or serenity.