- 1 Who originally sang singing the blues?
- 2 Who are the major performers of blues genre?
- 3 Who was a famous classic blues performer?
- 4 Who are some of the most famous blues performers?
- 5 What does singing the blues mean?
- 6 Who made blues popular?
- 7 What are the three famous blues songs?
- 8 Why are blues called blues?
- 9 Who is the most popular classic blues singer?
- 10 Who is the best blues music?
- 11 Where is blues music most popular?
- 12 Were there any white blues singers?
- 13 Who are the best blues guitarists?
- 14 Who is the best female blues singer?
Who originally sang singing the blues?
” Singing the Blues ” is a popular song written by Melvin Endsley and published in 1956. The song was first recorded and released by Marty Robbins in 1956. Singing the Blues.
|” Singing the Blues “|
|Songwriter (s)||Melvin Endsley|
|Guy Mitchell singles chronology|
Who are the major performers of blues genre?
The main source being The All Music Guide To The Blues (Miller Freeman Books).
- The Top Ten.
- Charley Patton (1887 – 1934)
- Blind Blake (early 1890s – 1933)
- Blind Lemon Jefferson (1897 – 1929)
- Lonnie Johnson (1899 – 1970)
- Louis Jordan (1908 -1975)
- T-Bone Walker (1910 – 1975)
- John Lee “Sonny Boy” Williamson (1914 -1948)
Who was a famous classic blues performer?
|Name||Birth year||Primary style|
|Lonnie Johnson||1899||Urban blues|
|Mary Johnson||1898||Classic female blues|
|Robert Johnson||1911||Delta blues|
|Tommy Johnson||1896||Delta blues|
Who are some of the most famous blues performers?
- BIG BILL BROONZY (Lee Conley Bradley; 1903 – 1958)
- SON HOUSE (Eddie James “Son” House, Jr.; 1902 –1988)
- BLIND WILLIE McTELL (William Samuel McTier; 1898 –1959)
- MAMIE SMITH (née Robinson; 1891 – 1946)
- ARTHUR “BIG BOY” CRUDUP (Arthur William Crudup; 1905 –1974)
- SKIP JAMES (Nehemiah Curtis “Skip” James; 1902 –1969)
What does singing the blues mean?
: feeling sad and discouraged He’s been singing the blues since he lost his job.
Who made blues popular?
Blues music is characterised by sad melodies and even today the expression ‘having the blues ‘ means you are feeling gloomy. Early blues music was very slow and emotional using simple harmonies with a vocalist accompanied by a guitar. Bessie Smith and Robert Johnson made the blues style very popular in the 1920s.
What are the three famous blues songs?
Top 10 Blues Songs of All Time
- I Cant Quit You Baby – Otis Rush.
- I’d Rather Go Blind – Etta James.
- Crossroad Blues – Robert Johnson.
- Pride and Joy – Stevie Ray Vaughan.
- I’m Tore Down – Freddy King.
- Born Under A Bad Sign – Albert King.
- Sunshine of Your Love – Cream.
- Hoochie Coochie Man – Muddy Waters.
Why are blues called blues?
Etymology. The term Blues may have come from “blue devils”, meaning melancholy and sadness; an early use of the term in this sense is in George Colman’s one-act farce Blue Devils (1798).
Who is the most popular classic blues singer?
Classic Blues Artists
- Robert Johnson. 567,485 listeners.
- Skip James. 208,306 listeners.
- Blind Willie McTell. 204,036 listeners.
- Freddie King. 284,553 listeners.
- Jimmy Reed. 212,894 listeners.
- Blind Willie Johnson. 201,421 listeners.
- Big Bill Broonzy. 165,371 listeners.
- Mississippi Fred McDowell. 149,034 listeners.
Who is the best blues music?
The Best Blues Songs Of All Time
- BB King – The Thrill Is Gone.
- Robert Johnson – Me And The Devil Blues.
- John Lee Hooker – Boogie Chillen.
- Little Walter And His Jukes – My Babe.
- Howlin’ Wolf – Evil.
- Robert Johnson – Crossroads.
- Blind Lemon Jefferson – Matchbox Blues.
- Muddy Waters – Got My Mojo Working.
Where is blues music most popular?
Chicago. The great city of Chicago has music venues for every taste, but it is particularly known for the Blues. The “Chicago Blues ” style came about in the post-World War II-era when many African-American southerners moved to the industrial north in search of jobs.
Were there any white blues singers?
Robert Plant is, for me, most definitely one of the great white blues singers. You can see that he was influenced by Howlin’ Wolf and Muddy Waters, by Elizabeth Cotton and Rosetta Tharpe.
Who are the best blues guitarists?
My List of Best Blues Guitarists
- Jimmy Reed.
- B.B. King.
- Chuck Berry.
- Buddy Guy.
- Jimi Hendrix.
- Eric Clapton.
- Rory Gallagher.
- Stevie Ray Vaughn. Stephen Ray Vaughan (October 3, 1954 – August 27, 1990) was a Grammy Award-winning American guitarist, singer, and songwriter.
Who is the best female blues singer?
The Best Modern Female Blues Musicians
- Ana Popovic.
- Samantha Fish.
- Joanne Shaw Taylor.
- Larkin Poe.
- Heather Gillis.
- Susan Tedeschi.
- Danielle Nicole.
- Ruthie Foster.