- 1 What is the purpose of blues music?
- 2 Why is it important to learn the blues?
- 3 What is so special about the blues?
- 4 Why is blues music important to us in the present day?
- 5 What are the main features of blues music?
- 6 Why is blues the devil’s music?
- 7 Why is the blues so popular?
- 8 Do I need to learn blues?
- 9 Is the Blues still popular?
- 10 Can blues music be happy?
- 11 Who are the famous blues musicians?
- 12 Does Blues have to be sad?
- 13 How does the blues influence country music?
- 14 What music did the blues influence?
- 15 Why soul music is the best?
What is the purpose of blues music?
Blues is an African-American music that traverses a wide range of emotions and musical styles. “Feeling blue” is expressed in songs whose verses lament injustice or express longing for a better life and lost loves, jobs, and money. But blues is also a raucous dance music that celebrates pleasure and success.
Why is it important to learn the blues?
The blues influence continued to stay and still shines in modern country music today. Country has in turn also interwoven with blues music as well. The blues also gave birth to Rock and roll. Early rock n roll became huge because of artists like Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard.
What is so special about the blues?
“The blues style represents… a saying of things that are very painful, deep and poignant, with a feeling of ease. In the very best blues the pain changes, because of the music, into something light.” At its best, the blues is a oneness of pain and pleasure, defeat and exaltation, sadness and joy.
Why is blues music important to us in the present day?
Our most popular musicians today have their roots in the blues. By examining the history of the blues it is apparent that it is a clear reflection of our nation’s story, both its highs and lows. It has become a foundation for many forms of popular art and entertainment besides music, in the United States and abroad.
What are the main features of blues music?
What is blues music?
- Blues is both a musical form and a musical genre.
- The main features of blues include: specific chord progressions, a walking bass, call and response, dissonant harmonies, syncopation, melisma and flattened ‘blue’ notes.
Why is blues the devil’s music?
The origins of the blues are closely related to the religious music of Afro-American community, the spirituals. It was the low-down music played by rural blacks. Depending on the religious community a musician belonged to, it was more or less considered a sin to play this low-down music: blues was the devil’s music.
Why is the blues so popular?
The Blues music originally grew popular among the black population during the time when slavery was prominent in the United States. Before the origination of the blues, African American’s voiced their feelings and interpersonal relationships while working out on the planatations.
Do I need to learn blues?
Blues guitar is not hard to learn, but it is hard to master. A beginner can learn a simple blues shuffle within a few weeks while playing a blues song with soul and passion can take years to develop. The reason blues is a great style to learn on guitar as a beginner is that it is a simple style of music to learn.
Is the Blues still popular?
The Blues is still alive and well, but it is no longer the most popular form. Popular music moved from Jazz and Blues to Rock and Roll, R&B, Rock, Funk, Disco, etc. The heyday of traditional Blues was really from the 40’s-70’s, with some breakout players here and there.
Can blues music be happy?
There are celebratory songs. Traditionally blues music has captured a wide range of emotions. Whole subgenres of the blues, like jump blues, evoke a feeling that is upbeat, cheerful, positive and even happy.
Who are the famous blues musicians?
- BIG BILL BROONZY (Lee Conley Bradley; 1903 – 1958)
- SON HOUSE (Eddie James “Son” House, Jr.; 1902 –1988)
- BLIND WILLIE McTELL (William Samuel McTier; 1898 –1959)
- MAMIE SMITH (née Robinson; 1891 – 1946)
- ARTHUR “BIG BOY” CRUDUP (Arthur William Crudup; 1905 –1974)
- SKIP JAMES (Nehemiah Curtis “Skip” James; 1902 –1969)
Does Blues have to be sad?
The blues describes a musical form, as we have seen. Other blues are angry, moody, scary, frightened, and some are bouncy, joyous, exuberant, happy. Clearly, the blues is unusually rich in emotional expression. So, no, the blues is not sad music, and they do not tend to make us sad.
How does the blues influence country music?
Country music has roots in African American jazz and blues of the south. Blues styles have been used and adapted extensively throughout country music’s recorded history. Jimmie Rodgers, sometimes called the father of country music, was known for combining the blues, gospel, jazz, cowboy, and folk styles in his songs.
What music did the blues influence?
Almost every genre of popular music today has, in one way or another, been influenced by blues music. Jazz, rhythm & blues, gospel, country and rock ‘n’ roll (and all music that would later spawn from these genres) are just a few of the styles that owe much of their progression and style to blues music.
Why soul music is the best?
Soul music has some very unique features that are not evident in other genres. For one thing, it is designed to convey strong emotions and typically has deep, meaningful lyrics created for this purpose. Its roots are from old gospel played in southern churches in the United States.