- 1 What is a blues song?
- 2 How do you describe blues music?
- 3 What are examples of blues music?
- 4 What are the 3 characteristics of blues music?
- 5 What are the 3 chords used in the blues?
- 6 Who are the famous blues musicians?
- 7 What are the main features of blues music?
- 8 Who is the most famous blues singer?
- 9 What blues means?
- 10 What are the top 20 blues songs?
- 11 What are some good blues?
- 12 Where is blues music most popular?
- 13 Why is it called blues music?
- 14 What instruments were used in early blues?
- 15 Why is blues so important today?
What is a blues song?
Blues incorporated spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts, chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads. Blues shuffles or walking bass reinforce the trance-like rhythm and form a repetitive effect known as the groove. Blues as a genre is also characterized by its lyrics, bass lines, and instrumentation.
How do you describe blues music?
Blues songs are lyrical rather than narrative; blues singers are expressing feelings rather than telling stories. The emotion expressed is generally one of sadness or melancholy, often due to problems in love.
What are examples of blues music?
Top 10 Blues Songs of All Time
- I Cant Quit You Baby – Otis Rush.
- I’d Rather Go Blind – Etta James.
- Crossroad Blues – Robert Johnson.
- Pride and Joy – Stevie Ray Vaughan.
- I’m Tore Down – Freddy King.
- Born Under A Bad Sign – Albert King.
- Sunshine of Your Love – Cream.
- Hoochie Coochie Man – Muddy Waters.
What are the 3 characteristics of blues music?
Harmony and tonality
- the harmony is predominately related to the tonic, subdominant and dominant.
- minor 7th chords and other chord extensions are heard.
- dissonant harmonies are a common feature.
What are the 3 chords used in the blues?
A common type of three – chord song is the simple twelve-bar blues used in blues and rock and roll. Typically, the three chords used are the chords on the tonic, subdominant, and dominant (scale degrees I, IV and V): in the key of C, these would be the C, F and G chords.
Who are the famous blues musicians?
- BIG BILL BROONZY (Lee Conley Bradley; 1903 – 1958)
- SON HOUSE (Eddie James “Son” House, Jr.; 1902 –1988)
- BLIND WILLIE McTELL (William Samuel McTier; 1898 –1959)
- MAMIE SMITH (née Robinson; 1891 – 1946)
- ARTHUR “BIG BOY” CRUDUP (Arthur William Crudup; 1905 –1974)
- SKIP JAMES (Nehemiah Curtis “Skip” James; 1902 –1969)
What are the main features of blues music?
What is blues music?
- Blues is both a musical form and a musical genre.
- The main features of blues include: specific chord progressions, a walking bass, call and response, dissonant harmonies, syncopation, melisma and flattened ‘blue’ notes.
Who is the most famous blues singer?
The main source being The All Music Guide To The Blues (Miller Freeman Books).
- The Top Ten.
- Charley Patton (1887 – 1934)
- Blind Blake (early 1890s – 1933)
- Blind Lemon Jefferson (1897 – 1929)
- Lonnie Johnson (1899 – 1970)
- Louis Jordan (1908 -1975)
- T-Bone Walker (1910 – 1975)
- John Lee “Sonny Boy” Williamson (1914 -1948)
What blues means?
1: low spirits: melancholy suffering a case of the blues. 2: a song often of lamentation characterized by usually 12-bar phrases, 3-line stanzas in which the words of the second line usually repeat those of the first, and continual occurrence of blue notes in melody and harmony.
What are the top 20 blues songs?
Friday Top: 20 Best Blues Songs of All Time
- Gary Moore – Still Got the Blues (For You)
- Albert King – Born Under a Bad Sign.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan – Texas Flood.
- Lead Belly – Where Did you Sleep Last Night.
- Jimi Hendrix – Red House.
- Robert Johnson – Cross Road Blues.
- John Lee Hooker – Boom Boom.
- B.B. King – The Thrill Is Gone.
What are some good blues?
The Best Blues Songs Of All Time
- BB King – The Thrill Is Gone.
- Robert Johnson – Me And The Devil Blues.
- John Lee Hooker – Boogie Chillen.
- Little Walter And His Jukes – My Babe.
- Howlin’ Wolf – Evil.
- Robert Johnson – Crossroads.
- Blind Lemon Jefferson – Matchbox Blues.
- Muddy Waters – Got My Mojo Working.
Where is blues music most popular?
Chicago. The great city of Chicago has music venues for every taste, but it is particularly known for the Blues. The “Chicago Blues ” style came about in the post-World War II-era when many African-American southerners moved to the industrial north in search of jobs.
Why is it called blues music?
The name of this great American music probably originated with the 17th-century English expression “the blue devils,” for the intense visual hallucinations that can accompany severe alcohol withdrawal. Shortened over time to “the blues,” it came to mean a state of agitation or depression.
What instruments were used in early blues?
The combination of instruments used in early blues music included the clarinet, drum, guitar, piano, trombone, and trumpet.
Why is blues so important today?
The emergence of Blues can be considered the biggest music event in history as it crystalized emotions and creativity in a period of rapid development and economic growth. It is rooted in deep inequity and has powered liberation and emancipation efforts globally.