- 1 What are 3 characteristics of the blues?
- 2 How do you describe blues music?
- 3 Why is blues called devil’s music?
- 4 What are the two categories of Blues?
- 5 What is an example of blues music?
- 6 How does blues make you feel?
- 7 What is unique about blues music?
- 8 What do the blues mean?
- 9 Who is the most famous blues singer?
- 10 What is devil’s music?
- 11 Who are the famous blues musicians?
- 12 What city is known for blues?
- 13 Can Blues be happy?
- 14 What instruments were used in early blues?
- 15 Is Blues and Jazz the same?
What are 3 characteristics of the blues?
Harmony and tonality
- the harmony is predominately related to the tonic, subdominant and dominant.
- minor 7th chords and other chord extensions are heard.
- dissonant harmonies are a common feature.
How do you describe blues music?
Blues is an African-American music that traverses a wide range of emotions and musical styles. “Feeling blue” is expressed in songs whose verses lament injustice or express longing for a better life and lost loves, jobs, and money. But blues is also a raucous dance music that celebrates pleasure and success.
Why is blues called devil’s music?
Not sure much the Blues but it’s reinvention through early rock and roll Like Elvis and Chuck Barry etc… People referred to this as the Devil’s Music because it was widely believed, at the time, that it caused teens of the day to indulge in sinful activities like premarital sex and drugs.
What are the two categories of Blues?
It is generally divided into two major subgenres, with the jazz-influenced New Orleans blues based on the musical traditions of that city and the slower tempo swamp blues incorporating influences from zydeco and Cajun music from around Baton Rouge.
What is an example of blues music?
Other chord progressions, such as 8-bar forms, are still considered blues; examples include “How Long Blues “, “Trouble in Mind”, and Big Bill Broonzy’s “Key to the Highway”. There are also 16-bar blues, such as Ray Charles’s instrumental “Sweet 16 Bars” and Herbie Hancock’s “Watermelon Man”.
How does blues make you feel?
“The blues style represents… a saying of things that are very painful, deep and poignant, with a feeling of ease. In the very best blues the pain changes, because of the music, into something light.” At its best, the blues is a oneness of pain and pleasure, defeat and exaltation, sadness and joy.
What is unique about blues music?
Although instrumental accompaniment is almost universal in the blues, the blues is essentially a vocal form. Blues songs are lyrical rather than narrative; blues singers are expressing feelings rather than telling stories. The emotion expressed is generally one of sadness or melancholy, often due to problems in love.
What do the blues mean?
: a feeling of sadness or depression I’ve got (a case of) the blues.
Who is the most famous blues singer?
The main source being The All Music Guide To The Blues (Miller Freeman Books).
- The Top Ten.
- Charley Patton (1887 – 1934)
- Blind Blake (early 1890s – 1933)
- Blind Lemon Jefferson (1897 – 1929)
- Lonnie Johnson (1899 – 1970)
- Louis Jordan (1908 -1975)
- T-Bone Walker (1910 – 1975)
- John Lee “Sonny Boy” Williamson (1914 -1948)
What is devil’s music?
The Unsettling Sound Of Tritones, The Devil’s Interval In music theory, the tritone is an interval of three whole steps that can sound unresolved and creepy. Over time, the sound has wound up in jazz, rock and even Broadway musicals.
Who are the famous blues musicians?
- BIG BILL BROONZY (Lee Conley Bradley; 1903 – 1958)
- SON HOUSE (Eddie James “Son” House, Jr.; 1902 –1988)
- BLIND WILLIE McTELL (William Samuel McTier; 1898 –1959)
- MAMIE SMITH (née Robinson; 1891 – 1946)
- ARTHUR “BIG BOY” CRUDUP (Arthur William Crudup; 1905 –1974)
- SKIP JAMES (Nehemiah Curtis “Skip” James; 1902 –1969)
What city is known for blues?
Chicago. The great city of Chicago has music venues for every taste, but it is particularly known for the Blues. The “Chicago Blues ” style came about in the post-World War II-era when many African-American southerners moved to the industrial north in search of jobs.
Can Blues be happy?
Why The Blues Isn’t Just a Sad Emotion Because not all blues music expresses negative emotion. Whole subgenres of the blues, like jump blues, evoke a feeling that is upbeat, cheerful, positive and even happy.
What instruments were used in early blues?
The combination of instruments used in early blues music included the clarinet, drum, guitar, piano, trombone, and trumpet.
Is Blues and Jazz the same?
Blues is derived from Bluegrass, Jazz, R&B, and Rock. Jazz comes from Calypso, Funk, Soul, and Swing. It’s important to know that Blues was around before Jazz; thus, Blues can be considered an element of Jazz music. Jazz is from New Orleans, while Blues is from Mississippi.