- 1 What are the main characteristics of blues music?
- 2 How would you define blues music?
- 3 What are the elements of blues?
- 4 Are blues songs always sad?
- 5 What are the 3 chords used in the blues?
- 6 What are 3 characteristics of blues music?
- 7 What is another name for blues music?
- 8 Why is blues so important today?
- 9 Who are the famous blues musicians?
- 10 What instruments were used in early blues?
- 11 Why is the Blues called the devil’s music?
- 12 Is blues music sad or happy?
- 13 What is the most popular form of blues?
- 14 Why do I love blues music?
What are the main characteristics of blues music?
Although instrumental accompaniment is almost universal in the blues, the blues is essentially a vocal form. Blues songs are lyrical rather than narrative; blues singers are expressing feelings rather than telling stories. The emotion expressed is generally one of sadness or melancholy, often due to problems in love.
How would you define blues music?
Blues is a music genre and musical form which was originated in the Deep South of the United States around the 1860s by African-Americans from roots in African-American work songs, and spirituals. Blues as a genre is also characterized by its lyrics, bass lines, and instrumentation.
What are the elements of blues?
Major Elements of Blues Music
- Melody and Harmony. The harmony of blues music mainly focuses on the first, fourth and fifth chords of a combination.
- Rhythm. Would you like to write for us?
- Musical Instrument Sounds.
Are blues songs always sad?
The blues describes a musical form, as we have seen. Other blues are angry, moody, scary, frightened, and some are bouncy, joyous, exuberant, happy. Clearly, the blues is unusually rich in emotional expression. So, no, the blues is not sad music, and they do not tend to make us sad.
What are the 3 chords used in the blues?
A common type of three – chord song is the simple twelve-bar blues used in blues and rock and roll. Typically, the three chords used are the chords on the tonic, subdominant, and dominant (scale degrees I, IV and V): in the key of C, these would be the C, F and G chords.
What are 3 characteristics of blues music?
Harmony and tonality
- the harmony is predominately related to the tonic, subdominant and dominant.
- minor 7th chords and other chord extensions are heard.
- dissonant harmonies are a common feature.
What is another name for blues music?
Find another word for blues. In this page you can discover 55 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for blues, like: depressed spirits, heaviness of heart, dejection, lament, torch- song, jazz, funk, soul- music, rhythm-and- blues, gloom and music.
Why is blues so important today?
The emergence of Blues can be considered the biggest music event in history as it crystalized emotions and creativity in a period of rapid development and economic growth. It is rooted in deep inequity and has powered liberation and emancipation efforts globally.
Who are the famous blues musicians?
- BIG BILL BROONZY (Lee Conley Bradley; 1903 – 1958)
- SON HOUSE (Eddie James “Son” House, Jr.; 1902 –1988)
- BLIND WILLIE McTELL (William Samuel McTier; 1898 –1959)
- MAMIE SMITH (née Robinson; 1891 – 1946)
- ARTHUR “BIG BOY” CRUDUP (Arthur William Crudup; 1905 –1974)
- SKIP JAMES (Nehemiah Curtis “Skip” James; 1902 –1969)
What instruments were used in early blues?
The combination of instruments used in early blues music included the clarinet, drum, guitar, piano, trombone, and trumpet.
Why is the Blues called the devil’s music?
Not sure much the Blues but it’s reinvention through early rock and roll Like Elvis and Chuck Barry etc… People referred to this as the Devil’s Music because it was widely believed, at the time, that it caused teens of the day to indulge in sinful activities like premarital sex and drugs.
Is blues music sad or happy?
Why The Blues Isn’t Just a Sad Emotion There are celebratory songs. Traditionally blues music has captured a wide range of emotions. Whole subgenres of the blues, like jump blues, evoke a feeling that is upbeat, cheerful, positive and even happy.
What is the most popular form of blues?
The most common musical form of blues is the 12-bar blues. The term “12-bar” refers to the number of measures, or musical bars, used to express the theme of a typical blues song.
Why do I love blues music?
People listen to the blues because it is one of the most emotionally intense genres of music. By shunning the complex chord progressions and rhythms of classical, jazz and more sophisticated forms of rock, blues musicians are forced to make their music exciting by playing with feeling.