- 1 How do you describe blues music?
- 2 What are the main characteristics of blues music?
- 3 Why does blues music sound the same?
- 4 Is Blues Music happy or sad?
- 5 What is unique about blues music?
- 6 Which of these is used in blues music?
- 7 What are the 3 chords used in the blues?
- 8 What are the 3 key elements that the blues music contains?
- 9 Why is the Blues called the devil’s music?
- 10 Why does the blues sound so good?
- 11 Who are the famous blues musicians?
- 12 Does all blues sound the same?
- 13 Is the blues music depressing?
- 14 Who is the most famous blues singer?
- 15 What is the most popular form of blues?
How do you describe blues music?
Blues is an African-American music that traverses a wide range of emotions and musical styles. “Feeling blue” is expressed in songs whose verses lament injustice or express longing for a better life and lost loves, jobs, and money. But blues is also a raucous dance music that celebrates pleasure and success.
What are the main characteristics of blues music?
The elements of music in the blues
- it was common to include bent notes – usually the flattened third, fifth or seventh note of the scale.
- the performer often improvises over a chord progression.
- melismas are heard in many blues vocal melodies.
Why does blues music sound the same?
We latch onto the obvious details because they’re easier to notice, remember, and reproduce–but we miss quite a bit when we do that. So in short, lots of Blues sounds the same because the range of Blues the general public is aware of, is very small.
Is Blues Music happy or sad?
Why The Blues Isn’t Just a Sad Emotion There are celebratory songs. Traditionally blues music has captured a wide range of emotions. Whole subgenres of the blues, like jump blues, evoke a feeling that is upbeat, cheerful, positive and even happy.
What is unique about blues music?
Although instrumental accompaniment is almost universal in the blues, the blues is essentially a vocal form. Blues songs are lyrical rather than narrative; blues singers are expressing feelings rather than telling stories. The emotion expressed is generally one of sadness or melancholy, often due to problems in love.
Which of these is used in blues music?
Guitar and vocals are the instruments most frequently heard in blues music. Other instruments commonly heard are piano, harmonica, drums, and bass. Early on, not only were the lyrics of the blues improvised, but the instruments as well.
What are the 3 chords used in the blues?
A common type of three – chord song is the simple twelve-bar blues used in blues and rock and roll. Typically, the three chords used are the chords on the tonic, subdominant, and dominant (scale degrees I, IV and V): in the key of C, these would be the C, F and G chords.
What are the 3 key elements that the blues music contains?
Major Elements of Blues Music
- Melody and Harmony. The harmony of blues music mainly focuses on the first, fourth and fifth chords of a combination.
- Rhythm. Would you like to write for us?
- Musical Instrument Sounds.
Why is the Blues called the devil’s music?
Not sure much the Blues but it’s reinvention through early rock and roll Like Elvis and Chuck Barry etc… People referred to this as the Devil’s Music because it was widely believed, at the time, that it caused teens of the day to indulge in sinful activities like premarital sex and drugs.
Why does the blues sound so good?
In the very best blues the pain changes, because of the music, into something light.” That lightness and ease come to be because the musical form given to those feelings—in both the organization of the words and the notes—shows the world has a structure that is logical and sensible, and makes for a good time!
Who are the famous blues musicians?
- BIG BILL BROONZY (Lee Conley Bradley; 1903 – 1958)
- SON HOUSE (Eddie James “Son” House, Jr.; 1902 –1988)
- BLIND WILLIE McTELL (William Samuel McTier; 1898 –1959)
- MAMIE SMITH (née Robinson; 1891 – 1946)
- ARTHUR “BIG BOY” CRUDUP (Arthur William Crudup; 1905 –1974)
- SKIP JAMES (Nehemiah Curtis “Skip” James; 1902 –1969)
Does all blues sound the same?
Basic blues harmony includes only 3 chords, blues licks might sound ” all the same ” to many people. Basic blues harmony includes only 3 chords, blues licks might sound ” all the same ” to many people.
Is the blues music depressing?
The blues describes a musical form, as we have seen. Other blues are angry, moody, scary, frightened, and some are bouncy, joyous, exuberant, happy. Clearly, the blues is unusually rich in emotional expression. So, no, the blues is not sad music, and they do not tend to make us sad.
Who is the most famous blues singer?
The main source being The All Music Guide To The Blues (Miller Freeman Books).
- The Top Ten.
- Charley Patton (1887 – 1934)
- Blind Blake (early 1890s – 1933)
- Blind Lemon Jefferson (1897 – 1929)
- Lonnie Johnson (1899 – 1970)
- Louis Jordan (1908 -1975)
- T-Bone Walker (1910 – 1975)
- John Lee “Sonny Boy” Williamson (1914 -1948)
What is the most popular form of blues?
The most common musical form of blues is the 12-bar blues. The term “12-bar” refers to the number of measures, or musical bars, used to express the theme of a typical blues song.