- 1 How do you define blues music?
- 2 What are the elements of blues music?
- 3 What are the two types of blues music?
- 4 Why is blues called devil’s music?
- 5 What is unique about blues music?
- 6 What is another name for blues music?
- 7 What are the 3 elements of blues?
- 8 What 3 lines structure do blues use?
- 9 Can Blues be happy?
- 10 Who are the famous blues musicians?
- 11 Is Blues and Jazz the same?
- 12 What is devil’s music?
- 13 What city is known for blues?
- 14 Why is jazz immoral?
How do you define blues music?
Blues is an African-American music that traverses a wide range of emotions and musical styles. “Feeling blue” is expressed in songs whose verses lament injustice or express longing for a better life and lost loves, jobs, and money. But blues is also a raucous dance music that celebrates pleasure and success.
What are the elements of blues music?
The elements of music in the blues
- it was common to include bent notes – usually the flattened third, fifth or seventh note of the scale.
- the performer often improvises over a chord progression.
- melismas are heard in many blues vocal melodies.
What are the two types of blues music?
Mississippi is considered the birthplace of the blues, and two distinct styles developed in the region—Delta blues and hill country blues.
Why is blues called devil’s music?
Not sure much the Blues but it’s reinvention through early rock and roll Like Elvis and Chuck Barry etc… People referred to this as the Devil’s Music because it was widely believed, at the time, that it caused teens of the day to indulge in sinful activities like premarital sex and drugs.
What is unique about blues music?
Although instrumental accompaniment is almost universal in the blues, the blues is essentially a vocal form. Blues songs are lyrical rather than narrative; blues singers are expressing feelings rather than telling stories. The emotion expressed is generally one of sadness or melancholy, often due to problems in love.
What is another name for blues music?
Find another word for blues. In this page you can discover 55 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for blues, like: depressed spirits, heaviness of heart, dejection, lament, torch- song, jazz, funk, soul- music, rhythm-and- blues, gloom and music.
What are the 3 elements of blues?
Major Elements of Blues Music
- Melody and Harmony. The harmony of blues music mainly focuses on the first, fourth and fifth chords of a combination.
- Rhythm. Would you like to write for us?
- Musical Instrument Sounds.
What 3 lines structure do blues use?
The lyrics of a 12-bar blues song often follow what’s known as an AAB pattern. “A” refers to the first and second four-bar verse, and “B” is the third four-bar verse. In a 12-bar blues, the first and second lines are repeated, and the third line is a response to them—often with a twist.
Can Blues be happy?
Why The Blues Isn’t Just a Sad Emotion Because not all blues music expresses negative emotion. Whole subgenres of the blues, like jump blues, evoke a feeling that is upbeat, cheerful, positive and even happy.
Who are the famous blues musicians?
- BIG BILL BROONZY (Lee Conley Bradley; 1903 – 1958)
- SON HOUSE (Eddie James “Son” House, Jr.; 1902 –1988)
- BLIND WILLIE McTELL (William Samuel McTier; 1898 –1959)
- MAMIE SMITH (née Robinson; 1891 – 1946)
- ARTHUR “BIG BOY” CRUDUP (Arthur William Crudup; 1905 –1974)
- SKIP JAMES (Nehemiah Curtis “Skip” James; 1902 –1969)
Is Blues and Jazz the same?
Blues is derived from Bluegrass, Jazz, R&B, and Rock. Jazz comes from Calypso, Funk, Soul, and Swing. It’s important to know that Blues was around before Jazz; thus, Blues can be considered an element of Jazz music. Jazz is from New Orleans, while Blues is from Mississippi.
What is devil’s music?
The Unsettling Sound Of Tritones, The Devil’s Interval In music theory, the tritone is an interval of three whole steps that can sound unresolved and creepy. Over time, the sound has wound up in jazz, rock and even Broadway musicals.
What city is known for blues?
Chicago. The great city of Chicago has music venues for every taste, but it is particularly known for the Blues. The “Chicago Blues ” style came about in the post-World War II-era when many African-American southerners moved to the industrial north in search of jobs.
Why is jazz immoral?
Jazz also had African American roots, leading some to believe that racial tension was a reason for the negative energy around the music. It was mostly criticized by older, more conservative people, who believed that jazz was another cause for the increasing immorality and promiscuity of youth.